A wow cigar for me. Perhaps it was the higher humidity of smoking it right out of the cabinet of my local tobacconist, but we'll see about that after my other stick sits a few weeks. Placing the wrapper unlit against the nose gives off one of the strongest barnyard smells I've ever experienced, borderline rotting cheese smell. When lit, this cigar starts off very spicy and peppery. The unique thing about this cigar was that it never died down after the 1st or 2nd inch, and the spice continued well into the final 3rd. The complexity kicks in near the end of the 1st third and half point where a very strong salted butter taste joins the spice, sending the flavor experience into pure bliss. Although slightly different, I'm vaguely reminded of the No 9 flying pig Liga Privada, but without the super nicotine kick or hefty price point. When combining the taste and aroma factor alone this amazing cigar gets a 9 out of 10. When you consider I bought this at retail for under $5 - the 'wow' factor yields the right of way to the 'holy shit' factor and the box hunt begins!
***11/1/10 - Followup Notes***
Having smoked another one from the same box, I can relay the sad news that these cigars are inconsistent. This time around the cigar had a CAO sweet maduro-like taste, nothing really special (like an Onyx or Nestor Reserve) and the salted butter taste never really came through. While decent, it was nothing like the first one I smoked. This could be due to lower humidity having rested in my private humidor, or more likely, consistency. It was officially harsh at the last third. The score has been relegated to a low 7 out of 10. We'll see if a few more by J Fuego can't push for a redemption.

Good thing you know where to get more! haha
ReplyDeletecheck out revised post in main post body
ReplyDelete