Well the heat and humidity finally dropped enough to enjoy a smoke. This is my first review since Midwest Cigar Summit where we met some great guys, smoked numerous cigars and drank to much. We will post pictures from the afternoon sometime soon. Vince and I are both smoking the Montecristo #2, I had one that had been aged for a while that Vince is smoking and I am smoking one that I was told was about six months old that was gifted to me from Scott aka Combat Jack. You can really tell from the picture which one is which. Anyway on to the review.
This cigar is pretty damn ugly but it has a nice and strong cedar aroma at the foot. It feels pretty light in the hand and has a overall barnyard smell and a oily wrapper
At the initial light the major flavor is mainly cedar and I can tell that this cigar is still very young. The overall flavor on the first third is quite good but it is tunneling and needs to be touched up often.
I am still having major burn problems. Combat jack said that he keeps his humidor under 65% and I have mine the same so I don't think that it was a problem with the humidity. The flavor is mainly chocolate for the entire second third.
Not a great start to the final third as it went completely out but after relighting it starts picking up complexity. Right off the bat I start getting a fruity flavor that I can only describe as banana like. Shortly after the spice starts picking up and is accompanied by that lovely Cuban twang. The finish reminds me of eating corn on the cob, not so much of the corn but the cob.
While this is only the second Monte #2 I have smoked I have to say that in my experience I prefer them to be aged longer. This cigar was hit or miss on the flavor, at times it was great and others weren't worth the fight to keep it lit. The final third saved this smoke for me, it was what I expected of the entire cigar and defiantly skewed my final score and it barely comes in as an 8 out of 10.
No comments:
Post a Comment